Pyongyang’ truly concerned’ by ‘abnormal’ reaction from White House, says government spokesperson
North Korea hit back at US criticism over its test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile this week, saying it was rightfully exercising its rights for self-defense and that the weapon doesn’t specifically target the United States.
The comments by an unidentified spokesperson of the North’s Foreign Ministry on Thursday came as the UN Security Council was set to hold an emergency closed-door meeting over the launch at the request of the United States and the United Kingdom.
Tuesday’s launch of a new ballistic missile from a submarine was the North’s first test of such weaponry in two years and the most significant demonstration of its military might since President Joe Biden took office.
Washington condemned the launch, which underscored how the North continues to expand its military capabilities amid a freeze in nuclear diplomacy, and called for Pyongyang to “engage in sustained and substantive dialogue.”
In comments published by Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency, the North Korean spokesperson said its recent test posed no immediate threat to neighbouring countries and that there was no need for Washington to agonize over a weapon that doesn’t specifically target the United States.
The spokesperson said Pyongyang is “truly concerned” over what it sees as an “abnormal” reaction by the United States over a rightful exercise of its rights to defence and described Washington’s efforts to set up the UN Security Council meeting as a “provocative move.”
“When doing the recent test-firing, we did not have the US in mind nor aimed at it, but it is the work which had already been planned purely for the defence of the country,” the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson noted that the United States already possesses submarine-launched ballistic missile systems and said it was exposing its double standards by criticizing the North for pursuing the same weaponry. That only raises the North’s suspicions about the sincerity of the Biden administration’s statements that it harbors no hostility toward the North, the spokesperson said.
Ending a months-long lull in September, North Korea has been ramping up its weapons tests while making conditional peace offers to Seoul, reviving a pattern of pressuring South Korea to try to get what it wants from the United States.
Nuclear negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang have stalled for more than two years over disagreements in exchanging the release of crippling US-led sanctions against North Korea and the North’s denuclearization steps.
Since his fallout with the Trump administration, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has vowed to strengthen his nuclear deterrent in face of what he described as US pressure and threats.
His government has so far rejected the Biden administration’s open-ended offer to resume talks, saying that Washington must abandon its “hostile policy,” a term North Korea mainly refers to sanctions and U.S.-South Korea joint military exercises.
North Korea has been pushing hard for years to acquire the ability to fire nuclear-armed missiles from submarines. The submarine missiles are the next key piece in an arsenal that includes a variety of weapons, including ones with the potential range to reach American soil.
Still, experts say it would take years, large amounts of resources and major technological improvements for the heavily sanctioned nation to build at least several submarines that could travel quietly in seas and reliably execute strikes.
Biden’s special envoy for North Korea, Sung Kim, is scheduled to meet with US allies in Seoul over the weekend to discuss prospects of reviving talks with North Korea.
Emirati youth learning new skills to be ready for future of work
Local talent will be seen in action in the $3 million MBZIRC Maritime Grand Challenge. With the UAE investing in advanced technologies, Emirati youngsters are acquiring skills and education to be ready for the opportunities. Dr Arthur Morrish, CEO, Aspire, organising the Mohamed Bin Zayed International Robotics Challenge (MBZIRC), is looking forward to seeing local…
Local talent will be seen in action in the $3 million MBZIRC Maritime Grand Challenge.
With the UAE investing in advanced technologies, Emirati youngsters are acquiring skills and education to be ready for the opportunities.
Dr Arthur Morrish, CEO, Aspire, organising the Mohamed Bin Zayed International Robotics Challenge (MBZIRC), is looking forward to seeing local talent in action at this edition’s $3 million MBZIRC Maritime Grand Challenge.
“An overwhelming number of Emirati youth and professionals are showing keen interest in learning new technological skills to fit into the future workplace. This is becoming increasingly evident as the UAE undergoes this digital transformation and builds its knowledge economy continuing to position the country at the forefront of global technological innovation. However, achieving this goal requires a concerted effort from the public, private and education sectors,” Dr Morrish told Khaleej Times.
The three-phase global challenge is underway with the submission round of white paper till December 30, then there is simulation in August 2022 and live demonstration in June 2023.
“The competition is open to leading universities, research institutions, companies and individual innovators from all over the world, including the UAE. We’re really excited about the entries from the UAE and can’t wait for the local talent to showcase their skills on the global stage and test themselves against the world’s best.”
In the challenge, top universities, research institutions, companies and individual innovators from all over the world can participate. They are encouraged to collaborate and partner with the industry to form teams.
The competition focuses on finding real-world solutions to maritime safety and security challenges such as smuggling, human trafficking, illegal fishing, and piracy. Dr Morrish said robotics-based industries will play a key role in the future knowledge-based economy of the UAE.
Registrations to the challenge can be done through https://www.mbzirc.com
Aspire is the technology programme management pillar of Abu Dhabi’s Advanced Technology Research Council (ATRC), which is responsible for defining the emirate’s research and development strategy, consolidating funds for efficient investment, and driving policy and regulation.
I am a newspaperman from the emirate of Abu Dhabi. A journalist at heart. I get my stories from the streets. A south Indian born in the Hindi heartland, I easily connect with people from different nationalities and cultures. I am calm like a monk, sensitive and very patient reporter. On the ground, I cover a range of topics related to community, health, embassy, tourism, transport, business and sports. I will go out on a leg to do what’s right and stand by what I believe in.
Woman dies after Alec Baldwin fires prop gun on film set
US actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico, US law enforcement officers said Thursday. The incident happened on the set of “Rust” in the southwestern US state, where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th-century western. Halyna Hutchins and…
US actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed a cinematographer and wounded the director on a film set in New Mexico, US law enforcement officers said Thursday.
The incident happened on the set of “Rust” in the southwestern US state, where Baldwin is playing the lead in a 19th-century western.
Halyna Hutchins and Joel Souza “were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin,” the sheriff in Santa Fe said in a statement.
Hutchins, 42, was transported to hospital by helicopter but died of her wounds, while Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance and is receiving treatment.
No charges have been filed over the incident, which is being investigated, with witness interviews ongoing.
A spokesperson from the production told The Hollywood Reporter the “accident” involved the misfire of a prop gun with blanks.
A sheriff’s spokesman told the publication that the director was in “critical condition.”
The incident took place at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, a production location near Santa Fe which is popular with Hollywood filmmakers.
Movie sets usually have stringent rules over the use of prop weapons, but accidents have happened.
Most famously, Brandon Lee, the son of martial arts legend Bruce Lee, died during filming of “The Crow” after being shot by a gun that was supposed to fire blanks.
India: Army recovers bodies of 5 trekkers trapped by snow
Slide Menus Show/Hide Left Slide Menu Show/Hide Right Slide Menu Show/Hide Top Slide Menu Show/Hide Bottom Slide Menu ANI/Kinnaur Filed on October 22, 2021 Representational image: ANI Two people rescued, 4 still missing Indian army forces on Thursday recovered five bodies and rescued two people from snow in a rescue operation with Indo-Tibetan Border…
Show/Hide Left Slide Menu
Show/Hide Right Slide Menu
Show/Hide Top Slide Menu
Show/Hide Bottom Slide Menu
Filed on October 22, 2021
Representational image: ANI
Two people rescued, 4 still missing
Indian army forces on Thursday recovered five bodies and rescued two people from snow in a rescue operation with Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), informed Abid Hussain Sadiq, Deputy Commissioner, Kinnaur.
“ITBP & Army started rescue operations on Thursday for 11 trekkers who went missing. They had started their expedition from Uttarakhand. Army rescued two people & recovered five bodies from the snow at different places,” said Deputy Commissioner.
The Deputy Commissioner added that four out of the 11 trekkers are still missing.